How do i start a Travel Blog?
One of the most common questions i receive, is how to start a Travel Blog. When people find out that i am given opportunities to travel at a discounted rate, sometimes free, they are quick to ask how i started my blog and what i did next.
First of all, i did not create my blog with free travel in mind. To begin with, my blog was a way of showing my family what i was up to, without having to write 10 separate emails. It evolved into a ‘travel blog’ when i fell in love with travelling and knew i would spend the next 5years exploring the globe.
I wanted to share with others, the freedom and fun that is inherited when you set off to travel. I wanted to capture the many cultures, magnificent architecture and phenomenal natural wonders, that this world has on offer. I wanted to create a place that would inspire others to do the same, show people how easy it is to do and have a little (or a lot) of fun along the way. ( Full story here )
HOW TO START A BLOG. 101.
1. CHOOSE A BLOGGING PLATFORM
First of all, i had to decide which blogging platform i wanted to create my blog from. When i first created my blog, i only knew about tumblr. I created an account and began sharing my own travel photos and ‘reblogging’ other people’s photos. It wasn’t until i stumbled across a few other travel blogs that i decided to switch over to wordpress. Personally, i find wordpress to be the most functional, easy to use platform to blog from.
2. CHOOSE A NAME FOR YOUR BLOG
Choosing your blog name can be difficult to do. Coming up with something catchy and original will take time, but is worth it. I honestly didn’t put much thought into my name, i went with the practicality behind my blog, i wanted to capture my experiences and share them, hence the name, captured to share.
3. BUY YOUR DOMAIN
Once you have decided on your blog name, chosen your blogging platform and are ready to start blogging, it is a good idea to purchase your blogging domain. To begin with, my URL was http://www.capturedtoshare.wordpress.com, being able to cut out the ‘wordpress’ gives the illusion of a self functioning site and also makes your blog look more professional.
4. CHOOSE A SIMPLE, EASY TO USE BLOG THEME
Functionality is the number one thing that will separate a successful blog to an unsuccessful blog. When people come to your site, they’re looking for something. If they can not find it, they’ll leave. You want to create a simple, easy to use layout that directs your views EXACTLY where you want them to go. I use the Dyad theme (Free), but i have used many similar themes along the way. Your theme gives you the look and feel of your blog, it is important you choose the right theme for YOU!
5. CREATE GOOD QUALITY CONTENT
When creating a blog, you want your content to be of quality and relevant. At first, my blog was a jumble of everything i was thinking and feeling. It wasn’t until i decided to take my blogging seriously, that i began to change the way i shared content. Make sure your titles are catchy, your content is helpful and your photos are good quality.
6. ATTRACT TRAFFIC TO YOUR SITE.
Now that your blog is ready, its time to attract traffic to your site.
- Be yourself. The most important thing when you’re trying to attract traffic to your site is to remember to be yourself. People love blogs that are personal, unique and relatable. Remember to be yourself and try to avoid mimicking someone else’s site.
- Tags and Content. Use your tags, titles and content to appear in google search and wordpress reader. Make sure you tag your posts with relevant tags. Think about what people are looking for and create your posts around that. ‘HOW TO’ is one of the most searched words in google. Examples of : “how to travel on a budget”, ” how to survive a long flight” etc.
- Social Media has become one of the biggest platform for advertising. If you want your blog to gain traffic, make sure you’re sharing your posts on one or more social media platforms. Captured to Share is on Instagram, Facebook and recently on twitter.
- Connect with other bloggers. This is one of my favourite parts of blogging. If you want to experience organic growth for your blog, connect with other bloggers. Read their posts, like them (if you like it), comment on it, follow them. Create a little blogging community around yourself, full of people who inspire you.
Is there anything i missed that you would like answered? Comment below. xo